- Equip the executive to map and utilize the assets available within the board
- Provide an up-to-date understanding of the complementariness of the board and executive roles
- Establish the importance of, and methods for, board recruitment, board development and board succession
- Define and put boundaries around fundraising responsibilities for the board and executive
- Demonstrate the value of well-executed executive transition and succession
This module prepares executive leaders to enter into or strengthen a healthy working relationship with the board of the organization they serve. Often, executive and board relationships fail to exhibit a proper mix of using power appropriately, governing well, effectively establishing and monitoring executive and organizational effectiveness, and handling executive transition. Both the board and the executive bear responsibility in managing these items well. This module will explore the executive and board relationship in light of serving as stewards of the organization and its mission. Each session concludes with a reflection assignment that becomes an educational tool for the ongoing development of executives and their boards. Topics will include building the board/executive relationship, sharing power appropriately, recruiting board members, fundraising and executive transition/succession.
Requirements for Receiving Credit
Credit for the module will be determined on the following criteria:
- Successful completion and submission of five Reflection assignments demonstrating that the participant has read required resources and reviewed the presentation content.
- Engage in all topic forum discussions for all five sessions.
Additional articles will be available from within the module once it begins.