- To provide a better understanding of how boards function and how to provide meaningful financial information to them
- To provide an overview of various performance measurements that may be useful as well as how to implement a dashboard reporting system
- To provide a summary of ways to better analyze the financial information of your organization
- To provide tools to assess whether outsourcing may be a viable option for your ministry and if so, how to make it work well
- To appreciate how the accounting department of an organization is critical to the mission it strives to fulfill
This module is designed to help you think about “the big picture” role that accounting plays in the overall ministry. It will include insight on communicating finances with boards and committees, and how to best help the governing team to focus on what is important in the financial information they receive. It will review some of the most useful financial measurements for ministries as well as provide information related to “dashboard” reporting. We will explore what financial analysis in a ministry looks like, and how we can do that better. We will examine how to best consider the option of outsourcing. And finally, we will explore the ways that the accounting department connects to an organization’s mission.
Requirements for Receiving Credit
- Successful completion and submission of five Reflection assignments demonstrating that the participant has read required resources and reviewed the presentation content
- Engage in all the topic forum discussions for all five sessions
Assigned reading links and articles will be accessible from within the module when it begins.